Abby, Izzy, Ally

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

28 Weeks

We're at 28 weeks today! We had a pretty eventful day yesterday and bit of a scare, but it's looking like things are under control. Let me explain...

The Dr. ordered an at home uterine monitor last week. This is something that many triplet or high risk mothers use at this stage of pregnancy. It is especially beneficial for multiple births, because a lot of times, you don't realize you're having contractions when you are.

Well... two nurses came to my house on Monday afternoon to show me how to use the monitor. When they first got to the house they took my blood pressure and it was rather high... we chalked it up to nerves and decided to take it again when things slowed down a little. Then, they hooked me up to the uterine monitor for an hour. After taking it off I said, "I'm sure I didn't have any contractions." (Famous last words!) The nurse sent my recording to the call center place and they reported that I had 7 conractions in that hour... too many! I was so surprised! Next thing I knew, I was laying on my left side (which is supposed to reduce blood pressure and contractions). The blood pressure was still very high.

The nurses left, with direction to lay on my left side and take the hour-long contraction test again in 30 minutes. All this time, they were in contact with my Dr. The second test only showed 2 contractions, so they were less worried. Apparently laying on your left-side really works! I talked to my Dr. last night and he told me to double up on my blood pressure medicine. Doing this and taking it easy has brought the pressure down. One side-effect of the medicine is I'm VERY tired! I didn't go to work today and have slept most of the day away... as a matter of fact, I could go back to sleep right now and it's 5:00 in the evening! Matt worked from home today to be my nurse and my grandma came over last night until he could get home. All seems to be under control and I have a Dr. appt in the morning, so I will know a lot more about what I need to do. I'll update again when I know more. Keep praying... I'm not ready for these babies to be born yet!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kami - I am praying for you!!! Stay in there babies!!! Do not come out! I'm glad you are taking it easy...I know it can be so frustrating to lay down and put your feet up when you are feeling somewhat "normal." Remember, this is only a season... and a very short season at that... only a month or two left!!!

    Just wanted you to know that i am thinking of you and praying for you (as I sit on the couch today, too!)

    ~Mary Lindsey

    ReplyDelete