Abby, Izzy, Ally

Friday, September 10, 2010

Parents as Teachers Program

I am so excited about a new program I have "enrolled" the girls in. It is called Parents As Teachers, and it's a free program offered by the state of Oklahoma. Carolyn Rhodes, a teacher at Roosevelt, is in charge of the program. She comes to your home each month and assesses the children. I fill out a form on each child that asks questions about certain milestones they've reached in regards to communication, social-personal, fine motor, gross motor, problem solving, etc. This is really nice because it makes me aware of what they should be doing at this age. For example... something I learned yesterday: They are not too young to use crayons to mark on paper or use a spoon to feed themselves. I honestly would not have even tried these things or given the girls the opportunities, had I not learned this. It also gives me a chance to assess the girls, individually, rather than lump them together all the time. For instance, It prompted me to take a close look at all the words they're currently saying:

Izzy - Thank you, Bye bye, uh oh, spaghetti-o, no-no, I take it off, night night, I love you, eyes, that, this, momma, daddy, papaw, lala, meemaw, hi, outside, doggy, juice, no more, Ball

Abby - Thank you, Bye Bye, uh oh, spaghetti-o, no-no, I love you, night night, that, this, momma, daddy, papaw, lala, meemaw, hi, doggy, no more, ball

Ally - Bye Bye, uh-oh, no, night night, that, momma, daddy, papaw, lala, meemaw, hi, doggy, no more, eyes, ball, peek-a-boo.

Also, here's a look at what's going on in their little mouths:
Izzy has 8 teeth, with 2 molars sprouting
Abby has 7 teeth, with 1 molar sprouting
Ally has 8 teeth, with 4 molars sprouting - The girl may not have hair, but she knows how to grow some teeth!
 
I just can't say enough about the program! She even brings books, puzzles, etc to the child to keep! I applied for Sooner Start when the girls were younger, but after they were assessed, they didn't qualify because they weren't behind in any area (Praise God)! That's when I was told about this program. I also remember learning about it in college.
 
Another thing I've been thinking about this week - I have my Bachelor's degree in General Studies. I studied Early Childhood Education in college, and planned on being a teacher, but then I got the Corporate Trainer job at U.S. Cellular, and couldn't finish the education degree without losing my job - the only thing I'm lacking is the final internship where you basically teach for a full semester (without pay). Because I was extremely happy as a Corporate Trainer, I went another route to getting my Bachelor's and have been very happy with that decision. BUT - now that I'm a full time mommy and don't work, I've been thinking it would behoove me to go back and get my 2nd Bachelor's in Early Childhood Educ. If I wait too long, it will be too late and I'll have to repeat many classes over again. This has been on my mind a lot, and I'm feeling a sense of urgency to go back and finish, but then, Matt made me feel all better. He said, "Do you want to be a teacher or do you want to be a stay at home mom?" Well... If I have the choice, I want to be a stay at home mom!  He and I have always liked the idea of me being there to drop the kids off, pick them up, help in their classrooms, etc. This is what I really want... why do I feel like I have to get a job? I guess because I've ALWAYS had one! Anyway... I'm so satisfied with my family being my job. It truly makes me happy. I know I'm rambling... but this is what's been going on this week in Kami's head!

2 comments:

  1. sounds like an amazing program.

    Don't feel bad about wanting to be a stay-at-home mommy. That's what I always wanted to do, and Nick was on board with that too, so when I got pregnant almost 8 yrs ago I decided that I would work up until I went into labor and then quit. Here I am 8 yrs later and I've never regretted the choice. I still have a 2 yr old at home, but I've been classroom mom, went on all the field trips, take the girls to dance, gymastics, soccer practice, piano lessons and church. I just don't think I could do all that if I worked full time. Yes we have made some changes in our finances but God keeps providing so it has worked out.

    Everyone in awhile I get asked "will you work when all your kids are in school", and I always say No. I didn't finish my degree and sometimes I think I should do it (you can get great scholarships right now), but then I think that I am doing exactly what I want to do, and what I feel God wants me to do, and if I ever feel different about that then I am sure God will let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more, Lindsay. In the end, what's more important than raising your family?

    ReplyDelete